Sr. Director, Corporate Compliance
Serves as the Nationwide Advisory Solutions (NAS) Compliance Officer which includes a broker/dealer and two life insurance companies. Is a member of the NAS Operating Committee responsible for establishing strategy, direction and execution of the NAS Compliance Program. Provides compliance services focusing on proactive and reactive advice, assists in product development and new business initiatives, regulatory proposals and interpretations, routine and target surveillance of NAS activities, regulatory training, oversight of complaints, regulatory and market conduct examinations and identifies, communicates and executes risk mitigation strategies.
- Develop, document and maintain NF's compliance program that includes risk assessments, development and maintenance of applicable policies, procedures and guidelines and monitoring, testing and reporting protocols that are appropriately tailored to prevent, detect and correct specific compliance risks.
- Develop and maintain effective controls designed to monitor the effectiveness of NF's compliance program. Ensure and support adequate review of the appropriateness of the compliance system and procedures and implement necessary remediation for any identified deficiencies.
- Oversee the compliance-related operational risk assessment program which supports NW's enterprise risk management program. Review the results of that process and ensure the accuracy of data submitted.
- Develop, document and implement an annual compliance training program on compliance topics relevant to NF to enhance employees' knowledge and understanding of compliance policies and procedures, relevant laws, regulations and standards of good business.
- Maintain in-depth knowledge of the business and its activities in order to ensure adequate compliance oversight and resources as the business needs to evolve over time; advise NF business on emerging compliance issues.
- Maintain a strong presence in the business to promote an environment where individual staff will seek compliance guidelines when they have questions. Provide guidance to management, staff on corporate and business compliance standards.
- Hire, train and lead qualified compliance staff that possess the requisite knowledge, experience and personal qualities to be able to carry out their duties effectively. Ensure that compliance personnel possess a sound understanding of relevant laws, regulations, rules, standards, internal guidelines and Code of Conduct and their practical impact on the business operations.
- Periodic reporting to senior management, boards of directors and other Company stakeholders.
- Escalate compliance issues and potential violations of compliance policies and procedures, laws, regulations and standards of good business to NFS's Chief Compliance Officer and Nationwide's Chief Compliance Officer as appropriate.
Typical Skills and Experiences
Education / Certification: Education: Bachelor's Degree preferred. Graduate degree in relevant areas of study preferred, law degree or MBA. Certification: Series 6, 26 and 63 are required. Compliance certifications / designations or equivalent experience.
Experience: Min 10 years of experience in development of compliance programs w/relevant background & knowledge of annuity & life ops, distribution strategies including independent advisory & brokerage sales channels. Experience in development of compliance-related policies/procedures. Should possess significant knowledge/understanding of broker/dealer, investment advisory & life insurance compliance; applicable SEC/FINRA securities rules & regulations, The Investment Act of 1940, SEC Rule 38a¿1, AML, ERISA, IRS & NAIC Model Act regulations. Skills: Demonstrated ability to influence & work effectively with w/in a highly-matrixed organization w/employees at all levels.
Other criteria, including leadership skills, competencies and experience may take precedence. Staffing exceptions to the above must be approved by the hiring manager’s leader and HR Business Partner.
Overtime Eligibility: Not Eligible (Exempt)
Working Conditions: Normal office environment. Some travel may be required
ADA: The above statements cover what are generally believed to be principal and essential functions of this job. Specific circumstances may allow or require some people assigned to the job to perform a somewhat different combination of duties.
Jefferson National Financial is a growing, dynamic financial services company headquartered in Louisville, KY. We have successfully established ourselves as a differentiated product and service provider to fee-based financial advisors. Our unique, award-winning marketing and technology platform and a strong, seasoned management team have positioned us as an industry innovator. JNF is currently seeking a Sr. Director, Corporate Compliance to join our growing team in Louisville, KY.